Saturday, June 27, 2009

Initial Offerings


I haven't advertised this blog as of yet; I want to set down a few posts before doing so. The reason is that I would like to have some thoughts down, and a couple of reviews in order to give y'all something to read! Doesn't make much sense to have a blog that is empty.

First, let me tell you something about my pet peeves, and those things that I find that I cannot do without. I can usually tell when I walk into a restaurant if I am going to like the experience or not. If I see cloth napkins on the table it is a big plus. Admittedly, this isn't always possible, and even does not make sense for certain restaurants. For example, if I am going to a restaurant that specialized in Cajun-style shrimp boils, I would rather there be a big roll of paper towels on the table. But if I'm sitting down to a nice steak dinner that I am shelling out some big $'s for, I want cloth. And I must tell you that one thing that I cannot tolerate is the use of margarine. Margarine is one of the vilest inventions of man. Butter is actually better for you, IMHO, than margarine -- especially if you can find (or make) butter made from 100% grass fed cows.


Next: pepper. Black pepper. I am an addict. I simply refuse to use that nasty, powdery stuff that many restaurants place on their table tops. It has absolutely no flavor. As far as I can tell its only purpose is to make people THINK they are eating black pepper. Some places have started putting commercially available salt and pepper grinders on their tops. That is definitely an improvement, but the quality of this pepper is not up to par in some cases. The absolutely best peppercorns that I have ever found are Tellicherry peppercorns. I love this pepper so much that I have my own personal size pepper mill that I often take with me when I dine out, just in case the eatery doesn't pay attention to this most important point. AND, I want to begin this blog by giving you one of the best tips I can give for the home chef: Pendery's House of Spice. http://www.penderys.com/ Tellicherry pepper can be purchased here, whole peppercorns, for under $11 per POUND. And don't stop there, why pay three or four dollars for herbs and spices in those little jars at the grocery store when you can buy a pound of, say oregano for under $10? Never use that much? Get some jars and make up some gift baskets for your friends. Seal the rest and put it in the freezer. Pendery's is known for its fine chile blends. That's how the business began. You'll thank me for this link!

M.

No comments:

Post a Comment